Sunday, June 8, 2008

Oh, yeah, I went to a Cool Kids concert

I went to the Cool Kids show at the Ottobar on Friday (June 6) and I have to say that it was a great show. First, me and my brother got there at like 8 when it was supposed to start at 9 and we were the only ones there. A few other people came before the opening, but I was kind of surprised. Once we finally got in, thanks to some keen observation I noticed that a show schedule said that the Cool Kids weren't going to come out until like 11 p.m. I was pissed and was irate that I would have to sit through all of these goddamn opening acts. Turns out I was kind of quick to judge.

The first performer was Baltimore native Greenspan who was actually pretty good. Since we could barely understand what he was saying, what stood out was his beats. He also mixed in Black Mags during one song in his show and rapped over the beat to "On & On" by Erykah Badu. When his time was up, the DJs didn't come out fast enough, so he started to freestyle over "Paper Planes" by M.I.A.

Afterwards, one of the Tax Lo DJs came out and started playing some music. We were kind of bored at first, but then he mixed the Cheers theme with a club beat and everybody sang along. I'm thankful that I'm not the only young black person in Baltimore that knows all the words to the Cheers theme.

Followed by the DJ, Flex Matthews came out, representing D.C. He kinda seemed like a spaz at first, but he proved himself. When he first came out, some guys in the back booed him, so he got on them a little bit. Once he was about to perform his second song about wack rappers, the guys started booing him, so Flex dedicated the song to them. One of the guys got enough balls to come up on stage and after Flex finished a verse, he gave the guy the mic. He asked him if he wanted a beat, but all dude said was "He's wack" and handed the mic back and got off stage. We booed the shit out that guy. Here's a picture.

Photobucket

Afterwards, a DJ came out and reminded us that the Cool Kids weren't coming out for like a half an hour and we were heated until he played some club music. Everyone was dancing for the entire wait. There was one guy drunk off his ass that was dancing.

Photobucket

Other that, it was just regular partying. It kind of trips me out how I'm the only male I know that dances without needing a woman on his pelvis.

girl's wrists
We partyin

Finally, the Cool Kids had came out. After like two songs, Chuck Inglish brought his little cousin from Baltimore on stage to do the Spongebob. One girl in the crowd said she could do it, too, so they brought her on stage and got her to do it. They played some songs from our youth like "Juicy" and "Gin & Juice". Then, they played "Shorty Swing My Way" (I don't remember who sings that shit). All of the girls went nuts, and Mikey Rocks showed us how he got girls in middle school, which was apparently by walking over and thrusting his pelvis at them. The entire show was energetic and well done and I didn't leave disappointed. Now for some pictures.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting




And for all of you who absolutely HAD to know what was on their feet:


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


2 comments:

$port said...

couple things...

1. great post..nice to see you in the trenches..

2. 'Shorty Swing My Way'- KP & Envyi..you're welcome..

3...i may have just been sold on the Olympic VI's...MAYBE...

4....ALL RED AF1'S!!!!

5. ...i can't rock with those dumb small denims...i just can't...

Brittni said...

Man oh Man you're sooo lucky!
The Cool Kids kick ass!!!
I'm sooo jealous, lol!